Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » History

Post subject: Gibbon Family
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:51 am 

I wonder if anyone in Llanboidy has connections with the Gibbon surname. I am currently reseaching this line of my family tree, and last year visited the village. My interest is in Levi Gibbon b1824 approx (not the travelling minstrel known for his ballads b1807 from Cwmfelin Mynach).

Levi was a shoemaker in the village, according to the 1841 census, and was the son of Benjamin Gibbon (1806-1851) & Anne Jones. Known children of this marriage were Esther b1826, Sarah b.1830, Hophni b1832 and Soloman b1840, possibly others.

Benjamin was a gardener and in 1841 living at No1 Cottage, Llanboidy....any ideas which cottage?

As yet I've been unable to locate baptisms for Levi and his siblings, there appears to be numerous Gibbon entries in the registers of Henllan-Angoed, but none fit with the dates above. When I visited Llanboidy I noticed two chapels and a church, anyone know whether the baptismal records are incumbent?

I walked around the churchyard and noted a few Gibbon headstones, one for Theophilus who worked for WRH Powell at Maesgwynne, but I cannot connect in with this Gibbon family.

Appreciate any help or assistance as I'm over in Herfordshire.

Many thanks

Daren

Post subject: Re: Gibbon Family
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:50 pm 

Hi Daren
Did you have any success with your quest?
I have recently begun my family history research and Levi Gibbon was my great great grandfather. Any further info you have managed to glean would be gratefully received!
In hope
Margaret

Board index » History