Some questions about Llanboidy

This is for general usage by everyone
bdf

Some questions about Llanboidy

Postby bdf » Sun May 19, 2019 3:54 pm

I have some questions about Llanboidy. I've Googled for answers but not come up with anything conclusive (there are questions I have been able to answer that way, so I won't be asking those).

Here are some of the ones that are probably easy to answer.

• Is the Maesgwynne Arms still derelict?
  • What's happened to The Lamb? I think it closed a couple of months ago. On the market as a pub? On the market for any use? Already been sold?
  • Is the old school building (built in 1863-4) part of the school or was it sold off and diverted to other use?
  • What happened to the Chocolate Farm? I found an article from a couple of years ago saying the owner was retiring. The website for it looks like one that has been re-purposed and the business no longer exists.
  • Is the bar at the Social Club open to the general public (i.e., run like a pub), members-only or what?

I have a lot of other questions, but there's no point asking them unless there are people willing to answer them, or at least try to answer them.

You're probably wondering why I'm asking. As a hobby I add things to OpenStreetMap and for the past few days I've been adding things around Llanboidy. Here's what's there so far: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/51.87933/-4.59277 You can zoom in and out and drag the map around, just like with Google Maps or Bing Maps.

The unidentified buildings north of the school were added by somebody else a few years ago - why he added them without identifying them is something only he knows, but it would be nice if I could get names for them (and all the other buildings that are not on the map). Somebody else added the shop 4 years ago, without bothering to put a building round it (looking at the aerial imagery I can see why - it's difficult to make things out).

You're probably wondering why I don't answer some of this stuff by using Google Maps and Streetview. The answer is copyright - Google would get very upset if I did that.

All help greatly appreciated.
Last edited by bdf on Sun May 19, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Some questions about Llanboidy

Postby Admin » Sun May 19, 2019 7:35 pm

Thanks for your post, I suggest you copy it to the village Facebook page Facebook.com/llanboidy as you may get more traction there. Good luck

bdf

Postby bdf » Sun May 19, 2019 7:42 pm

OK, I'll try on facebook.

However, if you happen to know that the Welsh Chocolate Farm has closed then it may be worth you deleting their post on the local businesses page. Or at least responding to it saying that it's closed. If it actually has closed. I can't find anything current about it, so I'm guessing it's gone.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Sun May 19, 2019 7:49 pm

I believe it has gone but we have another called nomnom opposite, we have to rely on updates from those that know...

bdf

Postby bdf » Sun May 19, 2019 8:20 pm

You just gave me enough clues to figure things out. :D

Since their website was repurposed, I couldn't find out where the chocolate factory is or was. But with your clues...

Pembertons was at Bronyscawen. Nomnom started out in a caravan opposite them, after they had closed. Nomnom has since been successful enough to take over the old factory at Bronyscawen. So Pembertons has gone and there is no business trading as the Welsh Chocolate Farm any more. But there is Nomnom, which is now where Pembertons used to be.